This past Sunday was spent in my comfiest PJs, a luxurious Reconstructing Masque on my mane, and popcorn in my salad bowl watching the Golden Globes – and what a show! The hair was everything I’d hoped it would be and then some. Between Amy Schumer’s raked back rocker look to Cate Blanchett’s asymmetrical braid bob, I was pausing my DVR every two minutes just to get a better look! No need to develop carpal tunnel like I did, ladies: we have the steps to your favorite styles from this year’s Golden Globe Awards.
Rooney Mara’s Braided Ponytail
Mara’s braided ponytail was a fun take on the traditional updo, giving a sleek, perfectly placed pony a lighthearted twist.
- To begin, spray hair with Non Aerosol Hair Spray to give the hair a pliable hold that makes manipulating your style easy.
- Then, separate the crown section of your hair and secure in a high ponytail at the highest point on the back of your head.
- Spritz the front section again and use a fine-toothed comb to gently smooth and secure the hair back.
- Next, separate the ponytail into three sections and begin a standard braid.
- Spritz the roots of the untied hair and gently comb straight down to remove all flyways. Then gather your braid on top and secure all hair at the nape of your neck.
- Pull a strand from the side of your lowest ponytail to wrap around the elastic, hiding the tie. Secure with a bobby pin.
- Undo the braided portion of your lowest ponytail to create one large, full pony. Re-braid the remaining pony for a finished look.
Amy Schumer Raked Back Rocker Style
The effervescent and no-holds-barred comedian showed her edgy side with a look we’ve been trying to emulate for years: a slicked back style that looks impossibly chic.
- While hair is still damp, apply a cocktail of Firm Hold Gel and Blow Dry Lotion for extra mold-ability.
- Blow dry hair up at the roots and at the crown of your head for added volume, blow dry the sides smooth and back.
- Pin the sides back using no-crease clips.
- With pins in place, use a flat iron to smooth the sides and back of your hair, finishing with a tiny amount of Fluoro5 Elixer for added shine.
- Using a fine-toothed comb, gentle backcomb the roots around your front hairline and the crown of your head.
- Smooth the top section back and finish with Mighty Hair Spray.
For more styling tips and hair-spiration, follow us on Instagram!