Having fun in the sun is all well and good, but how many of us neglect our scalps during the summer months? Excessive heat and salt water don’t just damage our hair. They can also wreak havoc with our scalp health leading to damage, dryness, itchiness, and flakiness. But don’t worry because, we’ll share some top tips to help you treat your scalp right this summer. We’ve got you covered whether you have oily, dry, or sensitive scalp. So, let’s dive right in!
Protect Your Scalp from the Sun
Just like your skin, your scalp can get sunburned, which can cause redness, itching, and even hair loss (yikes!). To avoid that, you need to protect your scalp from the sun’s UV rays. Here are some ways to do that:
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat or a cap that covers your scalp and face.
- Apply a hair sunscreen or a mist that contains SPF to exposed scalp areas and hair roots – pay special attention to your part and around your hairline.
- Avoid staying in direct sunlight for too long or during peak hours (10 am to 4 pm).
- Use a UV protection styling product like N4’s Super Comp Prep & Protect – your summer hair and scalp’s best friend thanks to its UV/Color Polar Shield protection.
Keep Your Scalp Hydrated
Summer heat and humidity can cause your scalp to become dry, itchy, and flaky. To prevent that, you need to keep your scalp hydrated. Here’s how:
- Drink plenty of water and eat a balanced diet that includes water-rich fruits and veggies.
- Use a hydrating hair mask (N4 Reconstructing Hair Masque) or a leave-in hair treatment like Fluoro5 Elixer Restore & Repair Oil containing natural oils like argan, sunflower seed, or a boosting styling support solution to deliver extra nourishing hydration. We love N4’s Smoothing Balm which can be combined with any Number 4 Styler to deliver extra style support plus conditioning.
- Avoid over-shampooing your hair, as it can strip your scalp of its natural oils and cause dryness.
Cleanse Your Scalp and Hair Properly
Summer hair care also involves proper cleansing of your scalp and hair. Why? Because sweat, salt, and chlorine can build up and clog your hair follicles, leading to hair breakage, thinning, and dandruff. To avoid that, you need to:
- Use a gentle shampoo that suits your scalp type and hair texture (e.g., sulfate free, pH-balanced, or medicated). All the N4 range is, of course, sulfate and paraben free. Use a clarifying shampoo once a week or as needed to rid scalp of debris and build-up.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly after swimming or sweating to remove any residue.
- Avoid using extremely hot water to shower, as it can dry out your scalp and hair. Use lukewarm water instead.
Invest In Quality Hair Care Products
Last but not least, to maintain a healthy scalp and hair this summer, you need to use quality hair care products that nourish, protect, and repair your strands. Here are three Number 4 products that are a must have for your summer routine!
- Clarifying Shampoo – This gentle yet effective shampoo removes buildup and residue, leaving your scalp and hair feeling clean and refreshed. Gentle enough for daily use, it’s sulfate and sodium chloride free.
- Super Comb Prep & Protect – Live-free, tangle free! This leave-in conditioning spray strengthens hair and helps protect from the adverse effects of heat styling plus damaging sun and environmental factors. Expect protection with nourishing benefits.
- Reconstructing Hair Masque – This intensive hair treatment repairs strengthens, and smooths your hair cuticles, making them more resistant to damage and frizz. Your hair and scalp are infused with luscious moisture thanks to a rich blend of soy proteins, Vitamin B5, plus natural conditioners.
Final Thoughts on Keeping Your Scalp Happy and Healthy!
There you have it, dah-ling! Our top tips, tricks and products for keeping your scalp and hair healthy this summer. Remember, your hair is your crown, and your scalp is its foundation. So, treat them right, and they’ll reward you with shiny, strong, and beautiful hair that you can flaunt all summer long. Cheers to healthy hair and happy summer vibes!